Tuesday, April 29, 2008

More on sex education

My former roommate, currently a graduate student at Brown, posted this on her blog and I thought it was worth sharing. I think that sex education is such an important topic when you think about all of the issues that it (sometimes) tries to help young people with: pregnancy, disease, consent. I know that my own sex ed was abstinence only, but I've found that an increasing number of my friends have had different experiences that have shaped the way they think and talk about sex. I wish I could have been at this same panel, because I think the woman my friend mentions who emphasized the relationship aspect of sex education has a really important point. We need to be teaching our young people more than just mechanics, because the scars from having some STDs are incomparable to the scars from having forced intercourse or from the accumulation of negative self-image.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you're right about sex education. I think abstinence is an important part of sex education for high school students but obviously they'll still have sex anyway. Broader, more open educational programs should be in place.